Tooth decay can cause due to a different number of reasons , but the question remains are cavitie s and tooth decay are inevitable? The answer is absolutlly not.. It is caused by a proliferation of harmful bacteria in the mouth, is often cited as the world’s most common chronic disease in both adults and children.
In India ,Tooth cavity among kids is more common than you think. According to a recent Indian survey conducted across five cities — with 220 mothers and 101 dentists as respondents — 88 per cent dentists agree that incidences of cavities are higher than before. Most of the respondents believe that children need higher level of oral care to cope with changing food habits. As per research, 42 per cent of children between two and 11 years have had cavities in baby teeth while 21 per cent of those between six to 11 years have had cavities in permanent teeth.
If cavities aren’t treated, they can lead to severe toothache, infection and even tooth loss. Some of the treatments for tooth decay and cavities are fillings, crowns and root canals.
The first step toward preventing cavities and stopping existing cavities from becoming worse is to take good care of your teeth. Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes twice a day, in the morning and before bedtime. Floss once a day and also clean your tongue daily.
There are also some natural remedies that can help provide relief and maintain good oral health. Also, consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
(1)Cloves for temporary relief
Oral problems are generally due to bacterial infection. Clove is one of the strongest natural antibacterial. It can prevent tooth decay from becoming worse. All credit goes to it due to its, antibiotic, anti-inflammation, and antiseptic properties.
The pain relief can be achieved by using clove paste or oil. It neutralize the pH level and kill germs causing cavities. It is widely used in Ayurvedic medicines and tooth pastes.
How to do it?
- Dilute 2 to 3 drops of clove oil with 1/4 teaspoon of sesame seed oil. Put a few drops of this solution on a cotton ball and dab the solution on the affected tooth. Repeat every night before going to bed.
- Another option is to gently chew a whole clove to extract its oil. Then keep the clove under your tongue for several minutes.
Note: Do not use clove oil in excess or too frequently as it best used for temporary relief.
(2)Salt water rinse for healing tooth decays naturally
Salt is basically sodium chloride which is natural antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial. It will reduce swelling of gums if present. It can prevent spreading of bacteria, ease pain and treat tooth decay.
How to do it?
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Swish a mouthful of this solution around in your mouth for 1 minute, concentrating on the affected tooth. Follow this treatment 3 times a day until your symptoms subside.
- Alternatively, mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a little mustard oil or lemon juice to make a paste. Massage the gums gently with this paste for a few minutes, then gargle with warm water. Repeat twice daily for a few days to kill bacteria.
(3) Drink Milk for Calcium Intake for Teeth
3 out of 10 tooth decay problem is due to lack of calcium in body. Tooth is basically an exposed bones which is made up of accumulated calcium. Having calcium in your daily diet is also beneficial for bones. It promote better bone strength and brain functioning.
Milk is also blessed with perfect blend of important minerals and enzymes. The minerals and enzymes found in milk are magnesium, zinc, fatty acids, and protein. These are the key elements for better oral health and for good immune. Vitamin D3 is present in dairy products which help in preventing tooth decay. Milk is perfect home remedy for cavities.
Better calcium balance in body will help alleviate rotting tooth pain. It will ensure to give a strong calcium cote around teeth, making it impossible for bacterial infection.
Being rich in antibacterial as well as antibiotic properties, garlic is often recommended for tooth decay and cavities. It can also provide respite from pain and promote healthier gums and teeth.
Eating garlic will improve immune, which will help in fighting cavities from inside. It also improve blood circulation which helps in fast mineral supplied to teeth roots. To use garlic as treatment always buy quality cloves for fast healing process. Consumption of garlic in any way will promote speedy recovery.
How to do it?
- Make a paste of garlic cloves and add 1 tea-spoon of common salt.
- Apply this on affected area and keep this for 30 minutes.
- Spit it out and swish around infected area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day to treat cavities naturally at home.
(5) Oil Pulling or Oil Swishing ,an Ayurvedic Remedy
Oil pulling is the practice of swishing or holding oils from plants in the mouth for long periods of time to produce health benefits. It is an ancient folk remedy that has been researched, and while not all of the claims of oil pulling enthusiasts are true, oil pulling does have its uses.
Oil used for Oil pulling can be Sesame Oil,Coconut Oil and Sunflower Oil.Sesame Oil being the most effective.
- Put 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in your mouth.
- Gently swish it around for about 20 minutes.
- Spit it out. Avoid gargling or swallowing the oil.
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water. Use salt water for added antimicrobial benefits.
- Brush your teeth as usual.
- Do this daily in the morning, on an empty stomach.
The same for coconut oil and sunflower oil.